Featured Post

The 2017-18 Season in Review

LINKS TO ALL THE POSTSEASON COVERAGE All the numbers have been pretty well crunched and the lists made.  The writing takes a while. I can&...

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

17-18 Preview: Projected Sectional Favorites

Here are my irresponsibly early projections for the favorites in each of the 32 sectional tournaments that will take place in February.  The vast majority of these are based on objective analysis, but there are one or two that are basically guesses that will make me look stupid before too long.  If you really care, you can extrapolate some of my preseason rankings from this a day early, too.

Please note: this is based on my own projection of what group each team will be in come sectional season. (My full group change projections went up in the "other stuff" post.)  This, as we all know, can easily change based on what schools do or do not enter the sectional tournament.  I'll note the predicted group changes as they affect the favorites as we go.  For entertainment purposes only, as they say.

BOYS NORTH 1A

I - North Arlington
II - Ridgefield Park
III - Pascack Valley
IV - Fair Lawn

Ridgefield Park drops from Group III to Group II.  Fair Lawn vs. Ridgewood may be the marquee matchup here.

BOYS NORTH 1B

I - Hudson Catholic
II - Sussex Tech
III - Wayne Hills
IV - St. Peter's Prep

Dickinson (IV to III) and Hopatcong (III to IV) swap places and each have a chance to advance.

BOYS NORTH II

I - Jonathan Dayton
II - Montville
III - Warren Hills
IV - Livingston

Caldwell drops from II to I, Linden up from III to IV.  Graduation hit this section very hard, and I have less confidence here than in any of the other 7.  Could be wide open.

BOYS CENTRAL

I - St. Rose
II - Ocean Township
III - Woodbridge
IV - East Brunswick

This is the biggest group change I'm forecasting: defending state champs Monroe jump from III to IV and must face defending TOC champ East Brunswick at sectionals, with Howell & South Brunswick also involved.  This may be the 2018 Group of Death.

BOYS SOUTH

I - Maple Shade
II - Jackson Liberty
III - Toms River South
IV - Brick Memorial

Jackson Liberty drops from Group III (TRS and Brick Twp) to Group II, which gives them a better shot at advancing, though far from a lock.

GIRLS NORTH

I - Ramsey
II - Holy Angels
III - Warren Hills
IV - Hackensack

Hackensack moves from brutal group III (WH, Teaneck, Wayne Valley) to become clear favorites at Group IV.

GIRLS CENTRAL

I - Manasquan
II - Colts Neck
III - Edison
IV - Monroe

Just like the boys, Monroe's girls jump to Group IV.  Colts Neck, Ocean Twp, Colonia & South Plainfield make Group II very competitive. Edison vs. Freehold Township is a coin flip, really.

GIRLS SOUTH

I - Collingswood
II - Manchester Township
III - Brick Township
IV - Toms River North

All four of these are very, very tight, with Brick Memorial and Washington Twp (IV), TRS and Central (III), Lacey (II) and a host of Group I schools in the mix.



No comments:

Post a Comment